Tuesday, February 26, 2013

{DIY} Easter Egg Topiary

Hello, Hello! Okay so y'all know I've been going crazy with the Easter decorations lately. I just shared with you my Easter themed mantle (the BIG fireplace reveal) and included that I would break down the topiaries into how-to tutorials.

First up is the Easter Egg Topiary. I really didn't have anything to go off of. I was just trying to use stuff that either I had on hand, or wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase. Now, I'm all about convenience. I know that a lot of you have easy access to Hobby Lobby, Micheal's, etc. I don't. My nearest Hobby Lobby is about 25 minutes away or so (not that far) BUT I am a stay at home Mom. I always have kids with me....I learned my lesson the hard way.

Hobby Lobby is NOT a place for curious little boys. I never realized how many breakable items they had until I brought my kids. WOW. I think the whole time I was in there, I was a frantic mess. I think Wyatt ran loose through the store and I found him in the floral section. Anyways, y'all get the idea. So, while at Wal-Mart (my mini vacation site...sometimes I sit in the patio chairs in the outdoor section and pretend I'm on a private beach in Hawaii), I visited the craft section. Y'all, let me tell ya, Wal-Mart's gettin' it together with their craft section. I found these cute little pre-made topiaries. I knew immediately that I could do something with them!

Here we go:

I got the pots from the dollar store. Don't forget to take the stickers off!
 

 
Next, I painted and distressed them with chalk paint- Annie Sloan Versailles. No prep work required. Just start painting!
 
 
Then get your cute little topiary from Wally World
 
 
And start hot gluing Easter eggs on it. I chose to go in a diagonal with my eggs, but you can place them however you want. Also, I bought plastic Easter eggs. You can totally buy the more expensive ones, but I was being cheap. After you hot glue all the eggs on, fill in the spaces with Spanish moss (I bought mine at the dollar store). Sorry I don't have a picture of this. It's not hard, just grab a bunch of moss, then hot glue it on. Easy as that.
 
 
Then you're done! Isn't it adorable?! For the price, you can't beat it. Also, I chose to hot glue on some burlap ribbon. You don't have to do this. I had some on hand, so I used it.
 


 
 
 


 Linking with:
 

16 comments:

  1. So cute! I am ready for Spring! Life to the full, Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm ready for Spring, too. So tired of Winter! Bring on the fun in the sun :)

      Delete
  2. A D O R A B L E!! What a wonderful look for any mantle, I love it! The use of moss and burlap looks really good. Thanks for showing how you created this look. XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, chick!! I am so in love with your blog! Full of fun, creative ideas!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! Some folks are so CLEVER!!!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you so much! You have a great rest of the week, Chickadee!

      Delete
  4. Really cute and creative.
    I'll be back to link on Moonshine Mon. (I just love that name:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love the mantel and the topiary. I'm right there with you with the Easter decorating...I'm so ready for spring!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY ready! We keep getting a little taste of it here in Arkansas!

      Delete
  6. So delightful! Very creative...you rocked this! I'll be back to link on Moonshine Mon again this week:)

    hugs
    Sumaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. They turned out fabulous!! Your Spring mantle is great. Thanx so much for sharing it over at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooo cute! I have featured your project on my blog :)

    Easy Easter Crafts Features

    ReplyDelete